Saturday, September 4, 2010

Me and Ubuntu

Logo source



     A few years ago, a friend introduced me to Linux. Before that, I just hear some stories about him from that friend. It's great when I know him. Linux is different from others. He's friendly, he has cool performance, and I don't have to be afraid to have a relationship with him, because he's free ! I thought he dazzle me. But later I realize that before I met him, I have relation with his friend , 'windows' , and I'm not ready to leave 'windows' on that time. So I decided to have relationship with both of them. Until now, our relationship working well. After a long time, I thought that I have to give my time more for Linux, because all this time I'm not try to recognize him closer. So, I'm going to know him closer by spent my time with him. I think 'windows' must ready for this, he has to share place in my heart with his young friend, Linux.

   Linux isn't my boy friend cause he isn't a person. Linux is an OS (operating system) software, Linux manage the computer hardware and executed various application, it's free of charge ! I use Linux, specially one of its Distro, UBUNTU, for this two years. I ever use version Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope), and now 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). For around this two years, I'm not concern to know closer about Ubuntu, that's why until now I'm not a good user. But later I realize that I have to change ! I have to learn more about this free stuff ! Someday I'll be fluent to use this free OS. Now, learn more and more days, I feel more stupid. I hope this is a form of understanding to encourage me learn more every moment I felt stupid.
     Now, I'm trying to make Lucid Lynx for most of my activity. In 'windows' I used Adobe photoshop for editing photograph, and I could do that with GIMP in ubuntu. I used Emphaty IM Client and Gwibber to monitoring my social media such as facebook, twitter, and others. I used openOffice to replace Microsoft Office functions, even when I write down this article I used OpenOffice. I still used dual boot ubuntu and 'window' until now, and I hope I could totally use Ubuntu as my operating system.

     I thought it will be more effective if learn linux together, I mean I have to join in a club or a community to sharing knowledge. Then, I decide to join some online community and forum to increase my knowledge. Kluwek is one of community that I join in. Kluwek is a community for women who like linux and wanna learn it. Many women who join this community, and they have skills in linux. I should learning from them.
     That's a simple thing about me and ubuntu. Hope I'll have a wonderful days with him. Welcome back Ubuntu ! I think it's reasonable if 'windows' should afraid his position in my heart will be replaced by you ! ^_^ 



No comments: